Tuesday, June 10, 2014

How To Get Hired!

Tis the season for graduations, which means you're most likely looking for a job. If you are not currently looking for a job, then it is still good to have these tips in your arsenal when you have a job interview. I am also currently seeking employment due to recently moving, so I am in the trenches with you.

I have been working since I was 16 years old, mostly customer service related. In college I worked for our housing department and held multiple positions from desk receptionist to Administrative Assistant. During that time I was able to assist with the interview process and learn some do's and don'ts.

Do:

Arrive 15 mins early.
- Aim for 25 mins, if are not familiar with the location. I tend to get lost.

Read the job description.
- Go in there knowing what you're applying for and what your responsibilities will be. Do not just apply for a job just because it is a pay raise, make sure that the job will be a good fit for you and the company. 

Generate questions from the job description. It shows that you are interested and eager to know more about the position.
- "I know that there is a new CEO coming on board. I really look forward to learning what their vision for the company will be." I recently used this in a job interview for Banana Republic. I follow them on social media and keep up to date on news in the fashion industry. I knew that there was a new Creative Director appointed who is already a respected designer. Guess what?! I currently have a part-time job at Banana Republic :)

Research the company and understand their mission.
- Make sure it is a company you're comfortable working for. I worked for the American Cancer Society and it was a good fit. My grandmother passed away from cancer, so I felt a connection with the company. Being a social worker really helped me assist the patients during their hardest times.

Profit or Non-Profit.
-This is a great point a professor brought up in college. If a company is non-profit, how does the money come in to run the company? Grants? Fundraisers? What if the economy goes down and those funds dwindle? You're now on the chopping block. If the company is for profit, where do the funds go? Is it being invested into the company? Do your research.

Carry copies of your resume that you submitted. If you have business cards, bring those as well.
- I personally keep my resume, notepad, and pen in a sleek folder. Thank goodness my Alma mater provided me with one! It looks really professional  and it shows you prepared for the interview.

Location, Location, Location.
- Working in a city? Ask about parking or travel perks that the employer may offer. Reduced rate parking? Travel stipend? All important things to factor, especially when it comes time to discuss salary.

Groomed, showered, and pulled together. 
-See my go to interview look below.

Send a thank you note or email. 
- Send a note to the interviewer and anyone who assisted you, including the receptionist. I once sent 6 thank you notes due to interviewing in front of a cancer center committee. Trust me, they remembered my name when I called them for a follow up.

Ask for feedback!
- So many people don't do this! Let's say you don't get the job? Ask the person who interviewed you for feedback. It is important for you to know the impression you are giving. I have asked for feedback in the past for different social work positions I interviewed for. Each time I was told that I had amazing interviewing skills, but the position was given to someone with a Masters degree. It happens! But all I know is I gave it my all and it came across to the interviewer. Just thank them and say "you look forward to crossing paths in the field in the future."


Don't:

Come unprepared.

Beg for the job due to financial strains.  
- I swear I've seen this first hand.

Not groomed, sloppy appearance, dressed provocatively.  

Chew gum.

Talk salary at the first interview.
- This should really be kept for the second interview, unless brought by the interviewer. 

Take it personally.
- You really nailed the interview, but didn't get the job. It's hard, but try not to take it personally. There will be other opportunities! And hey! Let's say it doesn't work out with the person they hired; the job can get posted again. 

Appearance

My mom gifted me the Coach Diaper bag as a graduation gift thinking that it was a laptop bag! It ended up being one of the best gifts due to all the pockets. I also used the changing pad to wrap around my work laptop at my previous job.

Clean nails, clothes ironed/dry cleaned, natural make-up, aim for hem lines no shorter than 2 inches above the knee. Keep heels to 3 inches or less, anything too high can cross into the unprofessional territory.

Invest in a well fitted pant suit. It will be a great investment. You cant afford that? That's ok! A pair of slacks and a blazer can also do the trick. I personally feel much more confident in a dress and suit jacket. I like to call it my "power outfit." If it isn't sweltering hot I recommend wearing tights with a skirt.

Shop or window shop the links below! Thanks again to DJ Black Rabbit for the photos!










Remember to never stop dreaming!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! You gave some really good advice :) You should check out my post on dressing for an interview if you get a chance---->>>> http://kissmychocolate.com/dress-interview/

    Keep up the great work! XoXo Shea L. --------> kissmychocolate.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shea! I'll definitely check it out!

      Delete